Grilled Chips and Guac
A big bowl of guacamole with huge bags of chips can’t go wrong when you have a big group of people hanging out together. Although it works perfectly for a small reunion as well.
Nothing like the fresh taste of homemade guacamole. So what about matching it with homemade tortilla chips? More than that, what about making them on the GRILL?
Grilled food just tastes different. So, if you plan on doing a BBQ or anything on the grill, use the opportunity to prepare this classic appetizer. The smoky flavor of the tortillas will bring a special touch to the table.
2 ripe, peeled avocado
2 ripe tomatoes
1 chopped onion
1 seedless chili pepper
Half a cup of chopped cilantro
1 lime juice
Black pepper to taste
Salt to taste
2 tablespoons of oil
- Chop the tomatoes, onions, chili pepper and cilantro and place them in a bowl.
- Add the avocado and mash it.
- Mix carefully so the avocado doesn't turn into a paste; the small chunks are part of the recipe.
- Add the oil and lime juice.
- Taste and add salt and pepper as desired.
*Serving size for 2 to 3 people. Increase the amount of ingredients as needed
Grilled Tortilla Chips
The chips will have a slightly smoked flavor from being thrown on the grill. Give them a light coating of olive oil to prepare for the grill. That way there's no sticking to the grate.
Seasoning of choice
How to prepare:
- Add a large pile of charcoal into your grill and light it up accordingly. Let your charcoal ash over before adding anything to the grate.
- Slice the tortilla shells just like a cut pizza. You can stack them on top of each other to fasten the process.
- Place the pieces in a bowl and coat them with some olive oil. It doesn't need to be a heavy coating.
- Lightly sprinkle your seasoning of choice onto the tortilla slices and mix.
- Place the tortillas onto the grate. It can be a normal grate if the chips are large. If you find it complicated, just go for a flat pan on top of the grill.
- Make sure the charcoal is ashed over. Don’t add all the chips at once to make sure they get crispy.
- Let the chips brown up until it's lightly golden. Flip them over and let cook on the other side until brown and crispy
- Place the cooled chips on a paper towel lined plate to cool.
Repeat with all the tortilla chips
Feel free to share your results on social media! Don’t forget to tag us at @zafillusa so we can see what you've got!