Burger on the Grill with Rustic Tomato Sauce
Bring the chef out of you with this grilled burger recipe. It is almost completely homemade - the buns come in already made, but you can make those from scratch as well.
Grilling burgers is perfect to have a good time with friends, family, coworkers, and for you to showcase your cooking skills with practicality. With this recipe, you will be making a special mayonnaise and a rustic tomato sauce from scratch, all very easy.
When it comes to the burger, you can opt to buy it pre-made from the market of your choice. However, if you feel inspired, you can check our blog post on How to Make a Burger on the Barbecue Pit . The post teaches you how to prepare your own meat blend, how it should look, and how to make the burger using a barbecue grill. Even if you decide not to prepare your own blend, it is worth checking it out for the grilling times.
Now it's time for the recipe.
Time to prepare: 35 minutes
- 1 head of garlic
- 100ml of milk at cool temperature
- 1 tablespoon of yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 200ml of oil
Rustic Tomato Sauce
- 2 large tomatoes, cut in half, vertically (300 g)
- 1 teaspoon of Olive Oil
- ½ teaspoon of salt and pepper
- 10 bacon strips
- 600g of ground beef (flank)
- 1 teaspoon of salt and pepper
- 10 slices of cheese (150 g)
- 5 burger brioche buns, cut in half
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
HOW TO PREPARE:
Make the mayonnaise:
- Wrap the garlic head in 2 sheets of aluminum foil and place it on the grill for 15 minutes.
- Remove it with a tong, wait for it to cool, remove the paper and peel
- In a blender cup, add milk, peeled garlic, mustard, sugar and lemon juice, and blend on low speed.
- Add the oil slowly to the cup while keep blending the mixture, for 3 minutes, or until firm.
- Transfer to a small bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Prepare the sauce:
- Place the tomatoes on the barbecue grill, on a high temperature, with the seeds facing down, and leave them for 5 minutes.
- Flip the tomatoes over and leave for another 5 minutes.
- Remove the tomatoes from the grill and place them in a bowl. Add the oil, salt and pepper. Mash using a fork, until you get a rustic sauce. Reserve.
Make the Burger Meat
- Place the meat in a bowl and shape 5 hamburgers of 120g
- Transfer the burgers to the grill at a high temperature and sprinkle ½ teaspoon of salt and pepper mixture. Leave for 4 minutes, or until the meat is golden.
- Flip the burgers upside down and sprinkle the salt and pepper mixture again.
- Add the cheese slices on top of each burger. Wait another 4 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Meanwhile, place the bacon strips on the grill and leave for 10 minutes, or until the slices are golden brown.
Assemble your Burger
- Slice the buns and spread the butter on the inside. Place them on the grill at a medium-high temperature for 1 minute or until golden.
- Remove buns from the grill, spread the mayonnaise, add the meat, sauce and bacon. Serve.
Try it out and send us a picture. Don’t forget to tag @zafillusa. Enjoy!